The forums have now been linked to the main GOTH.NET website. ALL members must log into the main website at least once before they can log into the forums (if you have a forums account, you automatically have an account on the main website).

If you are not a member on the forums yet, and wish to sign up, you will also have to create an account on the main website, which will automatically register you for the forums.

Note: If you have previously tried the above, and have been having problems logging into the forums, this has been fixed however you must change your password (on the main website) to resolve it permanently. Click here for instructions on how.

Who's Reading What?

Comics, books, zine's, art, you name it. Anything that is in print and you can rant on, rant in here.

strife
Stygia

Postby strife » Tue Apr 30, 2002 9:54 am

Last post of the previous page :

I be a'reading "Animal Husbandry".

You know the movie "Someone Like You"? This is the novel that spawned it.
0 x
"I am known as Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton-Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser III. Don't hesitate to call."
-- Vash the Stampede, "Trigun"

Black Milk
Administrator
USER_FLAG: Ireland

Postby Black Milk » Fri May 03, 2002 1:14 pm

Im reading Che Guevara's : Bolivian Diarys
And sitting on a shelf for me to read next is No Logo (for the 12th time)
0 x
Goth.nets resident Atlantean
(Thanks to Nephele)

David Bowie - All the Madmen
lastfm

Topic author
Lilith
Nessus

Postby Lilith » Sat May 18, 2002 2:59 pm

Black Milk WroteColonIm reading Che Guevara's : Bolivian Diarys
And sitting on a shelf for me to read next is No Logo (for the 12th time)

No Logo? 'splain Lucy!

I (finally) finished GOOD OMENS last night. Not that I'm a slow reader, but I've not had all that much time to read. I enjoyed it a lot, though not in the "laugh out loud" "uproarishly funny" way that the jacket proclaims, but it was a funny twist on things.

And I read the first chapter of Kim Wilkins' FIREHEART before crawling off to bed at 8am. Kim Wilkins is an Aussie author, so you aussies/kiwis should be able to find her work around. For you UK dwellers: some of her stuff is also availible in the UK and her latest novel should be printed there in August according to Amazon. Some of her books are also availible through Amazon.com for the US dwellers. FIREHEART is more of a young adult book, but I enjoy her writing so it's fun to read.

I should finish this one very soon really as it's not that thick and has that young adult larger typeset :)

And then I have to decide what to read next... one of the Freda Warrington books I still haven't read, one of the Kathe Koja books I've got waiting or any number of other unread books I've been amassing.

I'm also slowly picking my way through 2 different short story collections as well. I never read those very quickly as I like time between stories rather than reading one straight after the other.

Lilith
0 x
Webmistress @ GOTH.NET

SarChasm  (n.)
The gap that exists between the sarcastic person's wit, and the recipient who doesn't get it.

Black Milk
Administrator

Postby Black Milk » Sun May 19, 2002 10:47 am

0 x
(Thanks to Nephele)

lastfm

AmoulSolo
Malbolge

Postby AmoulSolo » Mon May 20, 2002 10:18 am

The last thing I was able to finish reading was "Life in a Medieval Castle". There was a fair amount of interesting stuff in there. I'm currently trying to hack through "The Age of Enligtenment" and it's not easy, or terribly fun. I think I'll take a vaction and go back to "The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy" which is old and tattered and my bible. I don't travel without it.

I also want to get the "Wizard of Earthsea" set by Ursula K. LeGuin because I like it a lot.

"Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" was mentioned by Numen and I highly reccomend it. I read it in a bar in one sitting while they were playing some rather dark Drum'n'Bass, and I highly reccommend the experience (if you can dig DnB,that is).

I think I'm going to buy "The Stranger" (Camus) or "East of Eden" (Steinbeck?) next. I wish I could find my freaking ABC 10% discount card... #(
0 x
Look Sir -- Goths!

Topic author
Lilith
Nessus

Postby Lilith » Mon May 20, 2002 3:32 pm

I actually finished FIREHEART the next day, so I'm now a chapter or two into DARKER THAN THE STORM by Freda Warrington.

Wheee...

Lilith
0 x
Webmistress @ GOTH.NET

SarChasm  (n.)

The gap that exists between the sarcastic person's wit, and the recipient who doesn't get it.

Deviant
Malbolge

Postby Deviant » Wed May 22, 2002 4:00 am

I enjoyed Good Omens , although it seemed to me to be more Pratchet(?) then Gaiman(?), but then i havent read enough Gaiman(?) to recognise his style.

at least one of the good guys scored this time hehe :D

Deviant - needs to pay more attention to authors names.
0 x
All my dreams gone, are my words forgiven?
All my deeds undone, am I now forgiven?"

"..And isn't sanity really just a one trick pony anyway? I mean all of you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh oooh oooh, the sky is the limit!" - The Tick

Topic author
Lilith
Nessus

Postby Lilith » Wed May 22, 2002 4:06 am

Deviant WroteColonI enjoyed Good Omens , although it seemed to me to be more Pratchet(?) then Gaiman(?), but then i havent read enough Gaiman(?) to recognise his style.

I've never read any Pratchett, only Gaiman, so I'm not sure if I can really answer that question properly either. I did feel as though it leaned more to Pratchett though.

Lilith
0 x
Webmistress @ GOTH.NET

SarChasm  (n.)

chiron
Phlegethos

Postby chiron » Wed May 22, 2002 5:56 am

basically i only read when i get my ass off the computer - isn't that just sad? :P

Currently reading James Clavell's "Tai-Pan" (chinese), and just finished reading his other book "Shogun" (japanese). Finished my Anne Rice books, Stephen King books, etc. Perhaps I should buy some more..
0 x
Like the lonliness of the last fruit of the season;
like the anticipation of the first.

Isisrael
Maladomini

Postby Isisrael » Wed May 22, 2002 10:34 am

"Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep"

You know, I'm *always* on the look out for other Phillip K Dick books ... but I never find them. I should just order them online ... :?
0 x
Congratulations! Isisrael has smoked enough magickal herb to make a breakthrough in recognizing his behaviour as a Cosmic Schmuck!

Gee! What a Schmuck!

Isisrael
Maladomini

Postby Isisrael » Wed May 22, 2002 10:37 am

I am currently reading:

"The Game of Life" by Timothy Leary

and I'm also currently rereading:

"Science and Sanity: an introduction to non-aristotelian systems and general semantics" by Alfred Korzybski
0 x
Congratulations! Isisrael has smoked enough magickal herb to make a breakthrough in recognizing his behaviour as a Cosmic Schmuck!

Gee! What a Schmuck!

StarvingStudent47
Nessus

Postby StarvingStudent47 » Wed May 22, 2002 11:32 pm

I'm currently spending most of my reading time on Kaplan: LSAT. Aim for my head.

For recreation, I'm reading Tom Clancy's Hunt for Red October. It's not high literature, certainly not gothic, and I don't even agree with Clancy's politics, but his books sure are fun. (though I'm closer to them than Che Guevara or No Logo).
0 x
I'm not starving, I'm not a student, and I'm not 47. But other than that, I like to think of myself as a pretty honest guy.

74-1019909896

Postby 74-1019909896 » Sat May 25, 2002 6:45 am

Well I'm currently reading The Lucifer Principle by Harold Bloom, which basically argues that what we call "evil" is biologically wired into us. It's not exactly cheering stuff, though quite interesting so far.
0 x

Black Milk
Administrator

Postby Black Milk » Tue May 28, 2002 12:15 pm

/div WroteColonI don't even agree with Clancy's politics, but his books sure are fun. (though I'm closer to them than Che Guevara or No Logo

Ah well, to each there own :)
Even if you arent that way minded politically, I think No Logo is a facinating book, not exactly a novel, but an interesting read.

But what i wanted to say really was, someone elses post here reminded me, that if you can find the right album to listen to while reading novels it can greatly enhance the experience.......well it does for me anyway.
I read the entire vampire chronicles listening to Massive Attacks Mezzaine, it couldnt have been a more perfect match!
And i read the mayfair series to Lamb......which didnt work so well, but still ok.
0 x
(Thanks to Nephele)

lastfm

Topic author
Lilith
Nessus

Postby Lilith » Thu May 30, 2002 3:44 am

Black Milk WroteColonBut what i wanted to say really was, someone elses post here reminded me, that if you can find the right album to listen to while reading novels it can greatly enhance the experience.......well it does for me anyway.
I read the entire vampire chronicles listening to Massive Attacks Mezzaine, it couldnt have been a more perfect match!
And i read the mayfair series to Lamb......which didnt work so well, but still ok.

I usually need it to be quiet when I read. When I'm home anyway. I've become amazed at how well I can block out nearly everything that goes on when I'm reading and on the move though (public transport etc.).

You have to carefully select music if you do listen to it when reading as sometimes I get the feeling that it colours your perceptions of what you read in ways other than the author would like you, and so detract from the book rather than add to it.

So usually it's quiet when I read, or else I get too distracted.

Lilith - who finished one book and read another 2 in the GOTH.NET downtime.
0 x
Webmistress @ GOTH.NET

SarChasm  (n.)

AmoulSolo
Malbolge

Postby AmoulSolo » Thu May 30, 2002 11:30 am

Black Milk WroteColon[I]f you can find the right album to listen to while reading novels it can greatly enhance the experience.

That was what I found when I read "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" in a bar where they were playing very dark drum'n'bass. Well worth it if you can get it right.

I was searching for something to read the other night and found Baudelaire's "Les Fleurs du Mal" that I bought while in France a while ago. It would be really hard to put into writing how good it is. Absolutely wonderful. If you can read French, I highly reccomend reading him in his native language.

I've included two links to the first poem in "Les Fleurs du Mal", the first in French, the second a translation to English.

Au Lecteur

To The Reader
0 x
Look Sir -- Goths!

Social Media

Return to “Print & Art”