The forums have now been linked to the main GOTH.NET website. You must create (or log into) an account on the main website before you can log into the forums.

If you had an account on the forums before the main site and forums were linked, you can use your forums username and password to log onto the main website, which you must do at least once before you can log into the forums again. You must also clear your forum cookies in your browser from before the link, or you will not be able to log on!

Note: It may take up to an hour after logging into the main site for credentials to work on the forums, however it SHOULD take less time. If you still can't logon after 1 hour, please feel free to contact us.

The goth scene's tolerance for drugs....

No limits here. Just a discussion about everything gothic.

Topic author
centurion
Nessus
Location: British Columbia, Canada (now) Osaka, Japan (previously)

The goth scene's tolerance for drugs....

Postby centurion » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:39 am

Here's something that I've been wondering about quite a bit, because of my travels, activities within different scenes, and the amount of mixed attitudes people in the goth scene have towards drugs.

Oddly enough, there seems to be some strange "stereotype" some people have towards goths and the misunderstanding that all goths are into drugs.
This baffles me, as the vast majority of my friends, as well as most goths I've known in my lifetime, have an extremely anti-drug stance.

Now personally, I never do drugs, other than the obvious alcohol and ridiculous amounts of caffeine I consume on a daily basis.
From negative experiences in my lifetime, seeing what's happened to some of my former friends, I never want drugs in my life, nor do I want my kids to have anything to do with them, but ultimately they are a personal choice, and if people choose to do them for whatever reason, it's their body.

From my experience, the gothic stance on drugs seems to vary from region to region. The American and Dutch scenes are quite liberal about drug use, and even doing them at gigs is not an uncommon thing.
Japan is harshly anti-drug, with very few exceptions. Even talking about smoking marijuana is met by looks of shock and disgust.
Germany is much more personal about the whole issue and it seems everyone has their own view of what is OK and not OK in their book. Stefan Ackermann (Das Ich) told me he only does organic drugs (marijuana, mushrooms) but is against chemical drugs. Anna Varney (Sopor Aeternus) is against them altogether, including alcohol, tobacco, or caffeine.

Anyhow, any thoughts on this??
0 x
The joy of life consists in the exercise of one's energies, continual growth, constant change, the enjoyment of every new experience. To stop means simply to die. The eternal mistake of mankind is to set up an attainable ideal.

- Aleister Crowley

Velmonturna

Re: The goth scene's tolerance for drugs....

Postby Velmonturna » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:04 am

For once I 100% agree you. I am absolutely against and intolerant of hard drugs of any kind and in my book that is anything beyond marijuana. As for marijuana I don't smoke it myself but I can turn the blind eye if someone else does it but I prefer if it wasn't done at all. I rarely drink alcohol but I do drink...maybe once or twice a year? I used to smoke clove cigarettes (*ahem* "cigars" now) but quit for a variety of reasons. Caffeine is done on almost a daily basis.

I know everyone is pretty different on this issue so it'll be interesting to see how people answer this one.
0 x

Puck the WaltzQueen
Cania

Postby Puck the WaltzQueen » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:29 am

Caffine? That must be a hard one to avoid. Excepting the caffine Sopor and I seem to be on the same page. No drugs at all. I suppose it's really more of a personal choice than a scene or local choice.
0 x
Drowned out by the devil's horn, which blew as though it were enraged.

Puck the Paradisiacal is An Avid Fan of Added Alliterative Appeal.

Calliope Aisha Cassandra
Cania

Postby Calliope Aisha Cassandra » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:32 am

Sorry, I have to XD
Samhain_Mist WroteColonLOL yeah but one day I want to meet the guy who answers 'yes' [...], just to admire his honesty.

I couldn't resist and it was JUST A JOKE!

I hate coffee and have an addiction to tea... I used to smoke and gave it up a week or two ago, I don't remember, I don't drink alcohol and the very true addiction I can admit is love...

what others do with their lives, is honestly none of my business I don't want to be judged therefore I chose to be the first not judging others.
0 x
Pixie name: Antara Airië Milkmaid

Minnie's virtual daughter and SirVigil's sister

adopted by Minnie and Midi and "honorary Texan" as bestowed upon me by Agent B. Plus I have a demon :P

Arquinsiel
Nessus

Postby Arquinsiel » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:50 am

The local attitude here is "the more the better" when it comes to drugs. As with BDSM it can be hard to explain to people within the scene that I'm not in the slightest bit interested in sharing their passtimes.
0 x

Henry's_twisted_dream
Malbolge

Postby Henry's_twisted_dream » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:59 am

Sadly , in my area , every stereotype about goths, punkers , metalheads and so on - is true!

Most of them are able to handle their own highs without creating disturbances.
0 x
Long live the Dogma.

Funeral Party
Stygia

Postby Funeral Party » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:33 am

Personally my views, are agianst the taking of any mind altering substances. In general my views are in line more with the hardcore punk scene's straightedge movement (the softer interpretation anyway, not the radical or hardline stuff). This specifically means no hard drugs, mind effecting substances, tobacco products, alchohol, anything that isn't food, of heavily caffeinated beverages. (Green Tea and Chocolate are okay and soda would be if I drank it, but nothing stronger than that.).

As for drugs relating to the goth scene, I prefer hard drugs to be absent, though I can turn the other way about everything else.
0 x

Wolfmammy
GAF

Postby Wolfmammy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:07 am

I have no problems with anyone doing drugs. It's a personal choice. If my husband and I want to drop off the kids at granny's house for the weekend a couple times a year and spend the weekend getting fucked up and drunk then that's our business so long as it's not affecting our children in a negative way.

I think people mainly confuse the Goth scene with those club kids who do X/meth/coke and hang out at the club every weekend. If you don't look past the surface it's far too easy to associate the junkies at the clubs with regular Goths.
0 x
Merciful Shadows

I'm on the quest for immortality here people! Down with death!! ~ Carpi

In America, law violates you! ~ Arq

RavenChaos21
Stygia

Postby RavenChaos21 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:43 pm

Well, I don't do drugs, drink, or smoke. I do not mind if someone else does it, as long as they do not disturb me or repeatedly ask me to partake in anything they are doing at the time. I can appreciate that everyone has their own set of beliefs and whatever they do with their body is their right and theirs alone. I just prefer to stay out of their way and go about my own business. It has worked for me so far, and I have no complaints so I say "Let them eat cake." :D
0 x

annwn
Maladomini

Postby annwn » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:48 pm

In the 80s and early nineties I made hung out with a few potheads, and I smoked a doob occasionally. Since I never smoked cigarettes, it wasn't always a pleasant sight to see: I acquired the nick-name of 'dragon' as a consequence, for obvious reasons.

Tried coke once: it was SO good, that I instinctively knew that it had to be very very bad, so I didn't repeat the experience.

Now I'm a wine, beer and fine spirits connoisseur -type.
0 x

Wolfmammy
GAF

Postby Wolfmammy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:50 pm

annwn WroteColonTried coke once: it was SO good, that I instinctively knew that it had to be very very bad, so I didn't repeat the experience.

I have grown past the age for that, in my opinion. I'm too olde to sit around the house and geek out till daybreak. :lol:
0 x
Merciful Shadows

Topic author
centurion
Nessus
Location: British Columbia, Canada (now) Osaka, Japan (previously)

Postby centurion » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:01 pm

In high school, I was a metalhead, and obviously the ONLY one in my circle of metalhead friends who didn't smoke weed.
Of course, I tried it quite a few times, pot seems to be a social drug..... if you're with people smoking it, they won't leave you the hell alone unless you smoke it with them. Seriously, I found the feeling of an empty head quite unnerving, and the whole feeling of sitting around literally feeling stupid just didn't appeal to me....

Anyhow, I obviously have no problem with other people and their life choices, but it just really pisses me of how often people into drugs have no respect for those who aren't.
0 x
The joy of life consists in the exercise of one's energies, continual growth, constant change, the enjoyment of every new experience. To stop means simply to die. The eternal mistake of mankind is to set up an attainable ideal.

- Aleister Crowley

Wolfmammy
GAF

Postby Wolfmammy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:28 pm

Well, if it makes you feel any better To-san, I never pushed anybody to do anything with me. I dislike people who do that. I actually have an intolerance to pot, it gives me panic attacks and that is something I definitely don't like. Pot is the only thing I've done that ever gave me that *stupid* feeling. Not that I've done a lot of stuff though! Hell, I'm very coherent unless I've had 3 bottles of wine....
0 x
Merciful Shadows

Arquinsiel
Nessus

Postby Arquinsiel » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:09 pm

centurion WroteColonIn high school, I was a metalhead, and obviously the ONLY one in my circle of metalhead friends who didn't smoke weed.
Of course, I tried it quite a few times, pot seems to be a social drug..... if you're with people smoking it, they won't leave you the hell alone unless you smoke it with them. Seriously, I found the feeling of an empty head quite unnerving, and the whole feeling of sitting around literally feeling stupid just didn't appeal to me....

Anyhow, I obviously have no problem with other people and their life choices, but it just really pisses me of how often people into drugs have no respect for those who aren't.
Yeah, this is probably the first time I can totally identify with your position and agree wholeheartedly. I've had negative experiences with weed smokers which range from just having to sit on the stairs with the one other non-smoker at a party to actually fighting my way out of a house with a stolen carving knife...... Apparently it's so offensive to refuse a joint that fights will happily be started over it.
0 x

Midieval Fantasy
Manisha
Flag: United States of America

Postby Midieval Fantasy » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:44 pm

My own personal stance on drugs - i simply do not approve of it as it can really consume a person. i do not know how other goths in my area feel about this, though.
0 x
"...To know means to be prepared to know.
Once you find out the truth, there's no going back.
You can't ever go back to being the way you were, blissful and unconcerned.''
-Nezumi; No. 6

Social Media

Return to “Gothic”