The forums have now been linked to the main GOTH.NET website. You must create (or log into) an account on the main website before you can log into the forums.

If you had an account on the forums before the main site and forums were linked, you can use your forums username and password to log onto the main website, which you must do at least once before you can log into the forums again. You must also clear your forum cookies in your browser from before the link, or you will not be able to log on!

Note: It may take up to an hour after logging into the main site for credentials to work on the forums, however it SHOULD take less time. If you still can't logon after 1 hour, please feel free to contact us.

Characteristics of an "ethergoth"

No limits here. Just a discussion about everything gothic.

Topic author
Carpathian Dark Princess
Cania

Characteristics of an "ethergoth"

Postby Carpathian Dark Princess » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:11 pm

It's one of those lesser known subtypes of goths, but not so unknown that it was a term that some one individual put together to describe themselves and their style.

I was curious as to how one would describe an ethergoth. My first most obvious thoughts would be toward the preffix "ether" which most likely refers to the subgenre of goth music known as ethereal wave (or ethereal goth or whatever regional scene you're from) and perhaps other related music like dream pop, ambient, and shoegaze.But what I was wondering is what would describe an ethergoth beyond the music preference, such as linked fashion tastes and ideologies. Is there much of a sense of community among ethergoths like there is in cybergoths, deathrockers, romantigoths, etc.?

Thank you for participating in whatever discussion we might have.
0 x
"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself." - Leo Tolstoy

"The first rule of Goth Club is : You do not talk about Goth Club." - Milky

Remember, Arthur and Lancelot: bros before hoes!

Arquinsiel
Nessus

Re: Characteristics of an "ethergoth"

Postby Arquinsiel » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:45 pm

It means you can't pin down a definition, because they're slippery buggers.
0 x

Topic author
Carpathian Dark Princess
Cania

Postby Carpathian Dark Princess » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:55 pm

But I want to change that - and turn them to vegetarianism if possible! :(
0 x
"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself." - Leo Tolstoy

LegendGirl
Administrator
Dark Side Name: Stellana Neptunes
Flag: United States of America

Postby LegendGirl » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:44 am

Ethergoths are usually fond of listening to ethereal and/or ambient music, drinking tea, a night in with a Tim Burton movie or a good book, and candlelit baths. I have a wide swath of ethergoth in me!

-- Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:47 am --

I forgot to add: any ethergoths I ever met seem to prefer simple, elegant black clothes, e. g. a black tee or turtleneck, black trousers or skirt, and black shoes.
0 x
It's sad that, in our blindness, we gather thorns for flowers. ~ My Dying Bride, Your River

Topic author
Carpathian Dark Princess
Cania

Postby Carpathian Dark Princess » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:38 pm

(Eep. I almost forgot about this.)

So I'm guessing that ethergoths are the type that don't take to the loud club nightlife then? :lol:

Fashion wise, they seem to be a toned down version of romantigoths... So, casual-romantigoth? :?
0 x

Nephele
Administrator
Dark Side Name: Nephele Lala Contrary

Postby Nephele » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:33 pm

LegendGirl WroteColonI forgot to add: any ethergoths I ever met seem to prefer simple, elegant black clothes, e. g. a black tee or turtleneck, black trousers or skirt, and black shoes.

And here I thought I was more of a corporate goth, but (fashionwise, at least) I may be an ethergoth. Hmm...

carpathian_dark_princess WroteColon(Eep. I almost forgot about this.)

So I'm guessing that ethergoths are the type that don't take to the loud club nightlife then? :lol:

I've never been much of a clubber or socializer. In fact, I even despise business meetings, so perhaps I am more of an ethergoth than corp goth.

On the other hand, I can't say I'm much into ethereal wave music (although I otherwise like ethereal-sounding music).

Anyone else with more to add regarding ethergoths? Perhaps in time Megan (a.k.a. Trellia) will add ethergoth to her highly entertaining goth stereotypes.

-- Nephele
0 x

Midieval Fantasy
Manisha

Postby Midieval Fantasy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:05 pm

Nephele: That website is too awesome, I love it!
0 x
"...To know means to be prepared to know.
Once you find out the truth, there's no going back.
You can't ever go back to being the way you were, blissful and unconcerned.''
-Nezumi; No. 6

Nephele
Administrator
Dark Side Name: Nephele Lala Contrary

Postby Nephele » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:36 pm

Midieval Fantasy WroteColonNephele: That website is too awesome, I love it!

Yah, the site has been posted here at Goth.net a few times, but I figure it's worth boosting every now and then. :) Especially since Megan is recently published -- she's contributed an article for this book.

Back to ethergoths... Does anyone have links to any visual representations of ethergoths?

-- Nephele
0 x

Topic author
Carpathian Dark Princess
Cania

Postby Carpathian Dark Princess » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:54 am

I admit I kind of frowned upon Megan's site at first (disagreeing with some stuff here and there), but I'm starting to appreciate it more and more. :D
0 x

Malkavius
Malbolge

Postby Malkavius » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:53 pm

LegendGirl WroteColonEthergoths are usually fond of listening to ethereal and/or ambient music, drinking tea, a night in with a Tim Burton movie or a good book, and candlelit baths. I have a wide swath of ethergoth in me!

-- Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:47 am --

I forgot to add: any ethergoths I ever met seem to prefer simple, elegant black clothes, e. g. a black tee or turtleneck, black trousers or skirt, and black shoes.

So they're BRITS?!

Though most goths I know like listening to same same music as an "Ether" goth.
0 x
"Son of a bitch Harold, you bought the diet eggnog again!!!!"

ZombieCupcakes
Avernus

Postby ZombieCupcakes » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:51 pm

So, is ether pronounced with a th like as in the or thing? And is Evanescence considered ethereal?
0 x

LegendGirl
Administrator

Postby LegendGirl » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:07 pm

th as in thing, and no, they're not. I'd say they're a rock band.
0 x
It's sad that, in our blindness, we gather thorns for flowers. ~ My Dying Bride, Your River

BLOODYHUNGRYDOLL
Minauros

Postby BLOODYHUNGRYDOLL » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:56 am

well.when i think of the term 'eldergoth' , i think of a goth lady(idk why ive an image of a woman -.-') , who wears a victorian dress, cultured, mannared, motherly, caring, has a dark sense of humor, has a home decorated with teacups and halloween ornaments and an environment like its still 1800s', and unlike older 30/40/50 year old women like herself, she enjoys dolls,troys and certain things which are childush tro play with,
to put it shortly, i have an idea of someone similar to the Lady of the Manners, blog author of Gothic charm school ;D
0 x

LegendGirl
Administrator

Postby LegendGirl » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:55 am

BLOODYHUNGRYDOLL WroteColonwell.when i think of the term 'eldergoth' , i think of a goth lady(idk why ive an image of a woman -.-') , who wears a victorian dress, cultured, mannared, motherly, caring, has a dark sense of humor, has a home decorated with teacups and halloween ornaments and an environment like its still 1800s', and unlike older 30/40/50 year old women like herself, she enjoys dolls,troys and certain things which are childush tro play with,
to put it shortly, i have an idea of someone similar to the Lady of the Manners, blog author of Gothic charm school ;D

It's "ether-goth", as in "ethereal goth", not "eldergoth".
0 x

Wolfmammy
GAF

Postby Wolfmammy » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:26 am

BLOODYHUNGRYDOLL WroteColonwell.when i think of the term 'eldergoth' , i think of a goth lady(idk why ive an image of a woman -.-') , who wears a victorian dress, cultured, mannared, motherly, caring, has a dark sense of humor, has a home decorated with teacups and halloween ornaments and an environment like its still 1800s', and unlike older 30/40/50 year old women like herself, she enjoys dolls,troys and certain things which are childush tro play with,

Ow, my head.

The term 'eldergoth' normally denotes the time one has been in the scene(I would say it's reserved for those going on a decade or more) and not actual age. But this thread isn't about them, anyway. ;)
0 x
Merciful Shadows

I'm on the quest for immortality here people! Down with death!! ~ Carpi

In America, law violates you! ~ Arq

Social Media

Return to “Gothic”