The forums have now been linked to the main GOTH.NET website. ALL members must log into the main website at least once before they can log into the forums (if you have a forums account, you automatically have an account on the main website).

If you are not a member on the forums yet, and wish to sign up, you will also have to create an account on the main website, which will automatically register you for the forums.

Note: If you have previously tried the above, and have been having problems logging into the forums, this has been fixed however you must change your password (on the main website) to resolve it permanently. Click here for instructions on how.

Squeaky boots - anybody know the cure?

Clothing, boots, makeup, hair care ... everything for the vanity concious. Also a place to discuss sewing and DIY fashion and crafty projects. Shopping questions or recommendations? This is the place!

Topic author
threnody
Cania

Postby threnody » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:55 pm

So I am the proud owner of a pair of solid steeltoed workboots. They're comfy as hell, and I think they look cool, but there is a fly in the ointment. recently, they have developed a squeak. And I'm not talking a little whispery squeak, this is the cry of mouse-banshee. It's driving me bananas! Moreover, I look like an idiot, and am loosing my ability to sneak up on people. Does anyody know of a way to make this stop?
0 x
If you put together all the ingredients that naturally attract children - sex, violence, revenge, spectacle and vigorous noise - what you have is grand opera.
Miss Manners' Guide to Excruciatingly Correct Behavior

Lunamoth
Nessus

Postby Lunamoth » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:20 pm

Have you tried a bit of shoe leather oil? Sounds like the colder weather is drying them out, causing the squeak. My 20-hole DMs do this too in winter. Also, make sure you aren't lacing them too tight. Your ankle should have a full range of motion (or as full as possible for being in boots).
0 x
"He ne'er is crowned with immortality Who fears to follow where airy voices lead."
-John Keats

Topic author
threnody
Cania

Postby threnody » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:35 pm

the leather oil's a good idea, but the squeak is coming from the sole. An important fact which, in hindsight, I forgot to mention
0 x
If you put together all the ingredients that naturally attract children - sex, violence, revenge, spectacle and vigorous noise - what you have is grand opera.

Lunamoth
Nessus

Postby Lunamoth » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:42 pm

Ah. Well, that is different. Perhaps the glue that holds it together inside somewhere has come free? I'm afraid that's a job for a shoe repair person. :(
0 x
"He ne'er is crowned with immortality Who fears to follow where airy voices lead."
-John Keats

Topic author
threnody
Cania

Postby threnody » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:43 pm

Bugger. The only guy in town who does that is the guy I bought my boots from....and my wallet...and my bookbag. He does GRAND work, but I keep giving him my money.

Ah, well. I was going that way tommorow anyhow.
0 x

freaky_b_sketch
Maladomini

Postby freaky_b_sketch » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:26 am

I have the same problem with many of my older boots. Squeaky soles... I hate walking down a long hallway and hearing it: "Step... Squeeeeeak!... Step... Squeeeeak!..." Grrrr. X) Quite often my soles of my boots begin to become unglued, perhaps that's the cause...? I never really thought about it. Well, if you find a miracle cure, let us all know.
0 x
~*a happy child is just an unhappy child having fun*~

"He who fights monsters should look into that he himself does not become a monster. When you gaze long into the Abyss, the Abyss also gazes into you." ~Friedrich Nietzsche

"The thing of it is, we must live with the living." ~Montaigne

sanguis animus
Malbolge

Postby sanguis animus » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:28 am

Hmm, I've experianced a similar problem with my issue combat assault boots... but I just put up with it and they promptly fell apart. Get them sorted right away thats all I can say!
0 x
Sanguis - Ne Obliviscarus! Nemo tus impune laccessit.

Topic author
threnody
Cania

Postby threnody » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:51 am

sanguis animus WroteColonHmm, I've experianced a similar problem with my issue combat assault boots... but I just put up with it and they promptly fell apart. Get them sorted right away thats all I can say!

How very WW1 of them.
0 x

Social Media

Return to “Fashion & Crafts”