The forums have now been linked to the main GOTH.NET website. You must create (or log into) an account on the main website before you can log into the forums.

If you had an account on the forums before the main site and forums were linked, you can use your forums username and password to log onto the main website, which you must do at least once before you can log into the forums again. You must also clear your forum cookies in your browser from before the link, or you will not be able to log on!

Note: It may take up to an hour after logging into the main site for credentials to work on the forums, however it SHOULD take less time. If you still can't logon after 1 hour, please feel free to contact us.

Favourite Tragic Hero?

A place for discussion that's not necessarily of a Gothic nature.

Topic author
Fumo
Stygia

Favourite Tragic Hero?

Postby Fumo » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:22 am

I've done a quick search and can't find a duplicate thread. So, who is your favourite tragic figure (historical or fictional)?

I'd have to go with Alan Turing.

I think he made very valuable contributions to society, in both a theoretical and practical way. I find his prosecution and chemical castration to be rather depressing. His cyanide-apple death is laced with a kind of beauty.

How about you?
0 x
Silence equals Death

Desiree Iluminada
Avernus

Re: Favourite Tragic Hero?

Postby Desiree Iluminada » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:35 am

In this case I must preface my response with this disclaimer: my fave tragic hero/ine? OTHER THAN ALLECTO.......... :twisted:

Right now (my other favorites can sometimes change!) I'd have to say, the Prophetess CASSANDRA, cursed by Apollo, BELIEVED BY NO ONE. I know what it is to be ignored and belittled, to be scorned and called a liar, when I am trying desperately to get others to see some coming disaster, including the ranting from me that everyone I knew, almost, IGNORED from mid-1997 on, about how the al-Qaeda was definitely going to strike directly at America someday soon... "No, doll, nothing like that could possibly ever happen; we're safe..." Righto. Fools. :cry:

I imagine Cassandra :cry: , the slave-girl, the unwilling harbinger of doom, tearing her lovely hair in agony that I completely understand when the curse of the House of Atreus was coming down upon the land, and murder was taking place inside the palace she could not enter, and no one would listen; I do SO understand...they called her mad; in the end, she went mad.

I'm not quite there YET. Close, and very sad, true; but not quite stark raving mad.

When I go mad, it shall NOT be quietly. :shock: People around here don't call me the "Doomsday Diva" for nothing! :evil:
0 x
Allecto
I am the Protectress of the Blood; an Ally of Humankind, a defender of all of my Sisters in the Bloodkind -- thus, I am despised by most, which is rather a lonely walk of Life; and, in the here & now, I must make that Walk in Human form...

Blackholesun693
Avernus

Postby Blackholesun693 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:06 am

My favorite is probably Maximus Decimus Meridius from The Gladiator[i][/i]. After being practically handed the reigns to the Roman Empire, he's betrayed by the emperor's son, who has his entire family killed. He spends the rest of the movie fighting to free himself from slavery and kill the bastard who killed his family and the father-like figure that was the emperor's father. The final scene in the movie really gripped me.
0 x
(See the cemetery sky Carmine red and deep Watch the oceans rising high It’s the human stain) Talk about the growing hunger Ask why with deep concern Don’t you think the human race is Ceaselessly vain

Music From The Elder
Stygia

Postby Music From The Elder » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:50 pm

Boudica http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boudica. Going up against Rome, there was just no way she could have ultimately won.
0 x
Cells are multiplying again & again. I can hear them. They're plotting. My soul has cancer. Raimi Matthews Broken Saints

Arquinsiel
Nessus

Postby Arquinsiel » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:14 pm

In fictional terms I've always been fond of Elric of Melniboné. To explain why is to ruin the story for those who haven't read it. Go read it. Now.

In reality, possibly a bit controversial, possibly a bit sterotypical but... Erwin Rommel.
0 x

Braveheart
Phlegethos

Postby Braveheart » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:31 am

Alia Atreides
0 x
You all laugh at me because I'm different.
I laugh at you because you are all the same.

Carpathian Dark Princess
Cania

Postby Carpathian Dark Princess » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:52 am

Prometheus and Antigone for my fictional. As for historical, Joan of Arc and to a lesser extent, Artemesia Gentileschi, who isn't hero in any historical context, but a painter, who was one of the first feminists who expressed it openly during the artistic Baroque movement. I just feel so sorry for what her "mentor" did to her...
0 x
"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself." - Leo Tolstoy

"The first rule of Goth Club is : You do not talk about Goth Club." - Milky

Remember, Arthur and Lancelot: bros before hoes!

Music From The Elder
Stygia

Postby Music From The Elder » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:02 pm

Arquinsiel WroteColonIn fictional terms I've always been fond of Elric of Melniboné.
Isn't there a connection between him and Monsieur Zenith? Who, by the way, is one of my favorite antiheroes.
0 x
Cells are multiplying again & again. I can hear them. They're plotting. My soul has cancer. Raimi Matthews Broken Saints

Letalis Senium
Cocky Canard

Postby Letalis Senium » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:29 am

Well, since we've had Cassandra, I vote for Agamemnon. Who says a nice bath is good for you? ;-)

-LS

EDIT: Scrub that. Antonius Block. Every time I see the The Seventh Seal, it really get to me.
0 x
"Any human anywhere will blossom in a hundred unexpected talents and capacities simply by being given the opportunity to do so."
- Doris Lessing

Jereth Magas, Gothsylvania Minister of Unnatural Resources.

Zylstra
Avernus

Postby Zylstra » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:43 am

Gregor Samsa
0 x

kitsune
Cania

Postby kitsune » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:22 pm

carpathian_dark_princess WroteColonPrometheus and Antigone for my fictional. As for historical, Joan of Arc and to a lesser extent, Artemesia Gentileschi, who isn't hero in any historical context, but a painter, who was one of the first feminists who expressed it openly during the artistic Baroque movement. I just feel so sorry for what her "mentor" did to her...

Oh cool, you're like my tragic hero doppleganger.

I can't get behind the Confederates because of the whole slavery thing, but I think Stonewall Jackson seems like a pretty nifty (kooky) guy. It sucks that he got shot by his own men.
0 x
I'm going to die now. . .

Arquinsiel
Nessus

Postby Arquinsiel » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:18 pm

Music From The Elder WroteColon
Arquinsiel WroteColonIn fictional terms I've always been fond of Elric of Melniboné.
Isn't there a connection between him and Monsieur Zenith? Who, by the way, is one of my favorite antiheroes.
As far as I know elements of Elric's character are intended to pay homage to Monsieur Zenith, but I haven't read any of the Sexton Blake stuff so I can't really go into detail on it.
0 x

Carpathian Dark Princess
Cania

Postby Carpathian Dark Princess » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:14 am

kitsune WroteColon
carpathian_dark_princess WroteColonPrometheus and Antigone for my fictional. As for historical, Joan of Arc and to a lesser extent, Artemesia Gentileschi, who isn't hero in any historical context, but a painter, who was one of the first feminists who expressed it openly during the artistic Baroque movement. I just feel so sorry for what her "mentor" did to her...

Oh cool, you're like my tragic hero doppleganger.

I can't get behind the Confederates because of the whole slavery thing, but I think Stonewall Jackson seems like a pretty nifty (kooky) guy. It sucks that he got shot by his own men.

In order to uphold my "honor" as being a Black American, I'm required to be pro-Union, but I hold Robert E. Lee in high regard.
0 x
"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself." - Leo Tolstoy

"The first rule of Goth Club is : You do not talk about Goth Club." - Milky

Remember, Arthur and Lancelot: bros before hoes!

snowwhitecomplex
Phlegethos

Postby snowwhitecomplex » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:48 pm

My favorite tragic figures is

Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights, he loved Cathy with such an intense honest passion but her rejection twisted him into a monster bent on revenge. There were so many momments in the book when my heart just hurt for him. Especially when he overheard her say that it would degrade her to marry him.
0 x
"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty." Groucho Marx

ENFECTION
Dis

Postby ENFECTION » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:50 am

Someone mentioned Elric on Melnibone. Nice ;) I Liked Corum a lot too.

But I would have to go with either William Wallace, or Eric Draven. :)
0 x

Social Media

Return to “General Discussion”