The forums have now been linked to the main GOTH.NET website. ALL members must log into the main website at least once before they can log into the forums (if you have a forums account, you automatically have an account on the main website).

If you are not a member on the forums yet, and wish to sign up, you will also have to create an account on the main website, which will automatically register you for the forums.

Note: If you have previously tried the above, and have been having problems logging into the forums, this has been fixed however you must change your password (on the main website) to resolve it permanently. Click here for instructions on how.

The Legendary Pink Dots

This forum is for discussing Gothic and Industrial music, as well as other kinds of music popular in the scene (deathrock, etc).

Topic author
GothicBfly
Cania

The Legendary Pink Dots

Postby GothicBfly » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:13 pm

I was searching around for some new music today, so I typed "80s punk bands" in google. Up came a wiki with a whole list of bands. For anyone who may want to reference it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_post-punk_bands

Anyway, there were a lot of bands I was familiar with, and a lot I was not. Of course, Bauhaus, The Cure, The Cult, March Violets, Joy Division, and many others we are all familiar with were on the list.

I started to look up some of the ones I didn't know on iTunes, because iTunes lets you listen to a sample. One that caught my attention, and I felt was worthy of sharing (especially since a search here turned up no results) was The Legendary Pink Dots. This band caught my attention because of the funny name, but you know...I rather like them. Has anyone else heard of them? They are rather different. Their wiki says they are from London and "their music touches on elements of neo-psychedelia, ambient music, electronic music, tape music, industrial, psych folk, synth-pop and goth rock, with a distinctly experimental/avant-garde bent; their sound has evolved over time and remains distinctive, making it difficult to place the group into a concise style or genre." I can definitely hear it...LOL.

Very interesting, if I may say. May appeal to some of the more traditional goths around here from the punk/new wave era (like me).
0 x
"Not all who wander are lost!" J.R.R. Tolkien
"I'm not God. I've seen His job, and I don't want it!" GothicBfly
"You grow up the day you have your first real laugh -- at yourself." E. Barrymore

Puck the WaltzQueen
Cania

Re: The Legendary Pink Dots

Postby Puck the WaltzQueen » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:56 pm

Never heard of them , but I'll check it out and come back.
0 x
Drowned out by the devil's horn, which blew as though it were enraged.

Puck the Paradisiacal is An Avid Fan of Added Alliterative Appeal.

Wolfmammy
GAF

Postby Wolfmammy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:42 pm

I've listened to some of their stuff, but couldn't get into it.
0 x
Merciful Shadows

I'm on the quest for immortality here people! Down with death!! ~ Carpi

In America, law violates you! ~ Arq

spiderlimbs
Nessus

Postby spiderlimbs » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:44 am

They were a pretty big deal when I was coming up in the 80s, but their sound was so different that I never really managed to get into them. I think they sometimes played a song or two at the club I used to go to, but their music isn't really something you can dace to.

~spidey
0 x
You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.

Topic author
GothicBfly
Cania

Postby GothicBfly » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:11 am

spiderlimbs WroteColonThey were a pretty big deal when I was coming up in the 80s, but their sound was so different that I never really managed to get into them. I think they sometimes played a song or two at the club I used to go to, but their music isn't really something you can dace to.

~spidey

Why didn't I hear of them back then? Maybe because I lived in "Podunkville" at the time, and we didn't have internet like we do now! LOL

I think what I'm liking about them is that 80's driving bass line...which I've always been a fan of...which is why I also like...gulp...dare I say it...Duran Duran! Okay, I admitted it. LOL I also like their use of violin. Being a cellist, I'm always looking for use of stringed instruments (outside of guitar) in other types of music outside of Classical and Celtic.

BTW...yes, I also liked the New Romanticism stuff back in the 80's. I guess because it was often hard to distinguish New Romanticism from New Wave...New Romance was more of a sub-genre to New Wave. There were so few bands, and the genre never really took off. Still have some Alphaville, Roxy Music, Bow Wow Wow, and Ultravox in my music collection, as well as the previous mentioned Duran Duran.
0 x
"You grow up the day you have your first real laugh -- at yourself." E. Barrymore

Gothik Toyz
Minauros

Postby Gothik Toyz » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:35 pm

GothicBfly WroteColonI think what I'm liking about them is that 80's driving bass line...which I've always been a fan of...which is why I also like...gulp...dare I say it...Duran Duran!

Nothing to be embarrassed about. If anything, you have a great ear: Amongst many musicians, John Taylor from Duran Duran is highly regarded as one of the best pop bass players of that time to have emerged from that New Romantic scene that was happening then....two other highly regarded bass players of that period were Nick Beggs from Kajagoogoo and Brad Lang from ABC .....
0 x

Minnie d'Arc

Postby Minnie d'Arc » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:07 pm

Gothik Toyz WroteColontwo other highly regarded bass players of that period were Nick Beggs from Kajagoogoo and Brad Lang from ABC .....

Except, within this "pop bass player" context, Mark King of Level 42 is even moreso.
0 x

biomechanoid
Avernus

Postby biomechanoid » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:21 am

LPD are great. Very prolific too. Edward Ka Spels solo stuff is also worth checking out, as is Tear Garden his collaborative project with members of Skinny Puppy
0 x

Topic author
GothicBfly
Cania

Postby GothicBfly » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:41 am

I'll have to look into that!
0 x

sgath92
Cania

Postby sgath92 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:50 pm

They had a track [Blacklist] on that Black Bible compilation, think it was one of those 90s Cleopatra sets if I remember correctly.
0 x

phloam
Dis

Postby phloam » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:16 am

omg, LPD is essential stuff. They are horribly productive, so the biggest problem is finding an entry point and avoiding the less accessible stuff.

If i must recommend one only, it must be the totally wonderful "The Maria Dimension".

And The Tear Garden LP "Tired eyes slowly burning" (including the LP "The Centre Bullet") is thee one album i would like to be buried with. So dark, weird, magcial, growing with every listen (once you get into it).

Do you have Spotify..?
0 x

Social Media

Return to “Goth/Industrial Music”