The forums have now been linked to the main GOTH.NET website. ALL members must log into the main website at least once before they can log into the forums (if you have a forums account, you automatically have an account on the main website).

If you are not a member on the forums yet, and wish to sign up, you will also have to create an account on the main website, which will automatically register you for the forums.

Note: If you have previously tried the above, and have been having problems logging into the forums, this has been fixed however you must change your password (on the main website) to resolve it permanently. Click here for instructions on how.

Darkwave

This forum is for discussing Gothic and Industrial music, as well as other kinds of music popular in the scene (deathrock, etc).

Topic author
Lacrymosa
Stygia

Darkwave

Postby Lacrymosa » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:48 pm

Hello all! I've been craving some good darkwave and would like some band suggestions. :)
0 x

CallaWolf
Maladomini

Re: Darkwave

Postby CallaWolf » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:54 pm

Have you heard Lycia? They're a GREAT ethreal darkwave group (My favorite in the genre), I highly suggest listening to their album Cold first, then moving to their other albums from there.

Other good bands include:

-Black Tape for a Blue Girl
-Faith and the Muse
-Love Spirals Downwards
0 x

Topic author
Lacrymosa
Stygia

Postby Lacrymosa » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:55 pm

Okay. I've listened to Black Tape for a Blue Girl once. :P I think it was newer material of their's though...
0 x

CallaWolf
Maladomini

Postby CallaWolf » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:04 pm

I'll admit to only hearing one of their albums, titled Remnants of a Deeper Purity, which was a good album but even I have to say that Sam Rosenthal is a horrible singer :lol:

That's just me though
0 x

Carpathian Dark Princess
Cania

Postby Carpathian Dark Princess » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:04 am

Sam wasn't singing in that album. He only sung in one of the earlier releases and he said that he'd prefer not to again (because he knows he can't sing). He rotates the musicians. I'm not sure who the male vocalist for Remnants was, though...

Anyway. The rundown (be prepared. "Darkwave" is really vague nowadays and none of them sound the same. You can get anything from classic goth rock sounds to ethereal to neoclassical, neomedieval, industrial, ethnic, blah blah blah.):

- Black Tape For a Blue Girl
- Lycia
- Love Is Colder Than Death
- Attrition
- Faith and Disease
- Clan of Xymox
- Lacrimosa
- Sopor Aeternus
- Butterfly Messiah
- Pretentious, moi?
- Autumn's Grey Solace
- Unto Ashes
- Chandeen
- Trance to the Sun
- Mors Syphilitica
- Android Lust
- Johnny Hollow
- Claire Voyant
- Mirabilis
- Azam Ali
- This Ascension
- Dead Can Dance
- Rajna
- the Machine in the Garden
- Cindergarden
- Collide
- Collection d'Arnell~Andrea
- Diary of Dreams
- Rhea's Obsession
- The Changelings
- O Quam Tristis
- Helium Vola
- Qntal
- Goethes Erben
- Yendri
- Switchblade Symphony
- Diva Destruction

- Oh yeah. The Cruxshadows... I guess [spoiler]Yeah I personally don't like them, but no need to be biased.[/spoiler].

This list isn't a third of it, BTW.
0 x
"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself." - Leo Tolstoy

"The first rule of Goth Club is : You do not talk about Goth Club." - Milky

Remember, Arthur and Lancelot: bros before hoes!

Topic author
Lacrymosa
Stygia

Postby Lacrymosa » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:37 pm

Okay, thanks for the list. :) I've listened to some of the those bands before. (yeah, I don't like the cruxshadows that much either, tbh. XD)
0 x

CallaWolf
Maladomini

Postby CallaWolf » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:10 pm

Carp, for some reason, I thought he was the singer on there. Guess not, I still prefer the female singer on that album over the male singer.

And I'm the same way about The Cruxshadows, I never could get into their music as much as I tried.
0 x

Carpathian Dark Princess
Cania

Postby Carpathian Dark Princess » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:19 am

@Calla: Yeah. When I first got into BTBG, I thought Sam was the singer too, mainly from hearing the albums "The Scavenger Bride" and "Halo Star", until I was told that it was Bret Helm, which leads me to say -
@Lacrymosa: - Bret Helm (who is from another darkwave band called Audra, which I adore) is how I would prefer Rogue (Cruxshadow guy) to sing like, since they do sound similar at times, but Bret sounds "heavier" which I like to hear when I listen to dark male vocals.
0 x
"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself." - Leo Tolstoy

"The first rule of Goth Club is : You do not talk about Goth Club." - Milky

Remember, Arthur and Lancelot: bros before hoes!

andrehod
Dis

Postby andrehod » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:28 am

Well, I really enjoy Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy... I dont know if these are considered Darkwave, but for me, Darkwave is the same as Goth Rock. So...
Listen to Sisters of mercy, I'm sure you'll love them
0 x

Topic author
Lacrymosa
Stygia

Postby Lacrymosa » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:39 am

andrehod WroteColonWell, I really enjoy Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy... I dont know if these are considered Darkwave, but for me, Darkwave is the same as Goth Rock. So...

I already listen to them. ;) I would consider them more metal than darkwave though.
0 x

andrehod
Dis

Postby andrehod » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:15 pm

Lacrymosa WroteColon
andrehod WroteColonWell, I really enjoy Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy... I dont know if these are considered Darkwave, but for me, Darkwave is the same as Goth Rock. So...

I already listen to them. ;) I would consider them more metal than darkwave though.

Metal? Are you crazy? Bauhaus and sisters of mercy are gothic rock / pos punk... They are likely the first goth bands ever. They are not metal. They are "traditional goth"
0 x

Letalis Senium
Cocky Canard

Postby Letalis Senium » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:23 pm

*rushes out to find a fire extinguisher*
0 x
"Any human anywhere will blossom in a hundred unexpected talents and capacities simply by being given the opportunity to do so."
- Doris Lessing

Jereth Magas, Gothsylvania Minister of Unnatural Resources.

Black Milk
Administrator
USER_FLAG: Ireland

Postby Black Milk » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:27 pm

I think it would be difficult to find a person on these boards that hasn't listened to the Sisters of Mercy at some point.
Thrash metal pioneers that they are.
0 x
Goth.nets resident Atlantean
(Thanks to Nephele)

David Bowie - All the Madmen
lastfm

Letalis Senium
Cocky Canard

Postby Letalis Senium » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:54 pm

I especially like their Thrash Ukulele phase.
0 x
"Any human anywhere will blossom in a hundred unexpected talents and capacities simply by being given the opportunity to do so."
- Doris Lessing

Jereth Magas, Gothsylvania Minister of Unnatural Resources.

Topic author
Lacrymosa
Stygia

Postby Lacrymosa » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:52 pm

andrehod WroteColon
Lacrymosa WroteColon

Metal? Are you crazy? Bauhaus and sisters of mercy are gothic rock / pos punk... They are likely the first goth bands ever. They are not metal. They are "traditional goth"

I should have been a bit more clear. I meant just Sisters was metal. Not Bauhaus and the rest of them.
0 x

Social Media

Return to “Goth/Industrial Music”