The forums have now been linked to the main GOTH.NET website. You must create (or log into) an account on the main website before you can log into the forums.

If you had an account on the forums before the main site and forums were linked, you can use your forums username and password to log onto the main website, which you must do at least once before you can log into the forums again. You must also clear your forum cookies in your browser from before the link, or you will not be able to log on!

Note: It may take up to an hour after logging into the main site for credentials to work on the forums, however it SHOULD take less time. If you still can't logon after 1 hour, please feel free to contact us.

Extended Outage

A place for notices and discussion regarding things about the domain, the site, the forums and the services. Post here with feedback and comments about the future of GOTH.NET.

Topic author
PreZ
Administrator
Dark Side Name: Lord Penthos Tannerey
Flag: United States of America

Extended Outage

Postby PreZ » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:56 pm

As you probably noticed, GOTH.NET has had an extended outage. Some information about this.

1) The GOTH.NET server has a number of disks in it. The two main disks are the operating system SSDs. They are mirrored such that if one fails, the other can keep going and no impact will be seen. Unfortunately, both these disks died at the exact same time (for unknown reasons). The drives where most of the actual data is stored (eg. the database, mail) was not affected at all.

2) I have had to buy and install 2 new SSDs to replace the ones that summarily died.

3) Though we do have backups of all the configs and data, I did not have "image backups" of the actual operating system. This has forced me to re-install the operating system and then copy back configuration files and data as necessary. This is a much slower process than I expected.

4) This process is still ongoing. Some things might still not be working 100% and I'm trying to fix them. In fact, the vast majority of the functions that server performs are currently not functional. But I'm prioritizing the GOTH.NET functions.

5) At this point, I wish I drank or had some other similar vice, as I feel like crawling in a hole and crying for a month at the amount of work I need to do to get things back to how they were a few weeks ago.

6) This is all complicated further by the fact that I am doing all this from 3000 miles away from the physical server.
0 x
PreZ -- Systems Administrator, GOTH.NET

I wanted to change the world, but god wouldnt give me the source code.

LegendGirl
Administrator
Dark Side Name: Stellana Neptunes

Extended Outage

Postby LegendGirl » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:24 pm

Sorry to hear that, PreZ. It will be fixed when it's fixed. We have faith in you!
1 x
It's sad that, in our blindness, we gather thorns for flowers. ~ My Dying Bride, Your River

Red_Ink_Cat
Stygia

Extended Outage

Postby Red_Ink_Cat » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:27 pm

Thank you for putting yourself through this for us.
0 x
~Love is the most pernicious drug of all. Let the romantics debate its existence. Pragmatists accept it and use it.~ "Quitters Inc." Night Shift

Nephele
Administrator
Dark Side Name: Nephele Lala Contrary

Extended Outage

Postby Nephele » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:50 pm

Thanks for all you do, PreZ!
0 x

Lachrymose
Cania
Dark Side Name: S. Circumventius

Extended Outage

Postby Lachrymose » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:52 pm

>> 6) This is all complicated further by the fact that I am doing all this from 3000 miles away from the physical server.

Geek level: Atmospheric. :D

Got hand it to ya, man.
0 x
Ahhh...I get to stay inside.

Social Media

Return to “GOTH.NET”