The forums have now been linked to the main GOTH.NET website. ALL members must log into the main website at least once before they can log into the forums (if you have a forums account, you automatically have an account on the main website).

If you are not a member on the forums yet, and wish to sign up, you will also have to create an account on the main website, which will automatically register you for the forums.

Note: If you have previously tried the above, and have been having problems logging into the forums, this has been fixed however you must change your password (on the main website) to resolve it permanently. Click here for instructions on how.

What's Your Poison?

A section to talk about cooking and other domestic things. Also where you can post your favourite recipes and tips and tricks for those tasks around the house.

Letalis Senium
Cocky Canard

Re: What's Your Poison?

Postby Letalis Senium » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:37 pm

Last post of the previous page :

Cheap instant coffee. Its staining the inside of my mug something awful.
0 x
"Any human anywhere will blossom in a hundred unexpected talents and capacities simply by being given the opportunity to do so."
- Doris Lessing

Jereth Magas, Gothsylvania Minister of Unnatural Resources.

blackgate
Stygia

Postby blackgate » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:15 am

Scotch, aged 15yrs+
0 x
Childhood's over the moment you know you're gonna die.

officialnosferatu
Dis

Postby officialnosferatu » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:10 am

..A 'Peckham Nightcap'...Absinthe & Nightnurse :)
0 x

Perdita X Nitt
Stygia

Postby Perdita X Nitt » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:19 am

I'm teetotal, so I guess... raspberry and cranberry juice mix! Or pomegranate and raspberry.
0 x
She'd even given herself a middle initial - X - which stood for 'someone who has a cool and exciting middle initial'.
- Maskerade by Terry Pratchett

Red Corset
Malbolge

Postby Red Corset » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:55 am

Prior to pregnacy (over 5 years ago - GASP) I was rather partial to a Red Salty Dog (vodka and pink grapefruit juice in a salt-rimmed tumbler). Or Red Bull when I was working. Haven't had a Red Bull since I decided to play safe in case I was preggas which I guess was a good thing coz I was!

These days I'm broke so I go the McWilliams Fruitwood red. At $6 bottle it's a cheap thrill but I like it. That and a good latte....
0 x
Mess with people's heads - dress to spook and use your manners!

silver-kitty
Avernus

Postby silver-kitty » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:31 pm

I like being my own mixologist at home with mixed drinks such as rum + cokes, mojitos, vodka cran's, and most recently we bought a bottle of Cream Sherry to try but Mr. Kitty + I both found it to be quite strong. He didn't care for the flavor of it at all and destined the rest of the bottle to be taken care of by me alone. So one night I decided to make a spritzer of it with some Sprite and that wasn't so bad.

Jagermeister is just about the only liqueur I can drink straight. I love that stuff! I can also tolerate chocolate liqueur and Bailey's or Kahula but usually find myself adding a splash of milk or something to them.

I do also enjoy micro brews and red wine but tend to feel overwhelmed when trying to pick one out and can never seem to remember what my favorites are. So I usually stick to the mixed drinks and Jager.
0 x

Melody
Dis

Postby Melody » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:39 am

I discovered a 2% alcohol bear with lemon. I can drink a whole bottle without a problem and to be on my feet, sober. I love it.
Also, here in Serbia we have so called šljivovica - alchoholic made from plum. That is a strong drink - I adore it - one sip is enough to feel "the heat". :D That is definately my poisson ^^
0 x

sleeplessimmortal
Malbolge

Postby sleeplessimmortal » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:37 pm

my "regular" poison is definitely snakebite & black... the black is rather essential for me. My preferred mix is Strongbow, Stella Artois and Créme de Cassis. Usually I have to go without the liqueur and use black current juice instead (Ya Ribena).

For "high social drinking", or in the library or a dinner party I usually drink Absinthe. I find SO many misconceptions around it. About what is and isn't Absinthe and how to prepare it and drink it. I have yet to prepare a glass of Pacifique Absinthe or Taboo Absinthe and not have a person truly enjoy it. Even people who "tried" it before, or dislike liquorice. I find it a rather unique, and pleasant way to pass the time and conversation. :P On New Years Eve, I steal a page from Hemingway's recipe book and enjoy "Death in the Afternoon". A particularly strong beverage made by preparing Absinthe with Champagne instead of water.

Hemingway's original instructions were:
"Pour one jigger absinthe into a Champagne glass. Add iced Champagne until it attains the proper opalescent milkiness. Drink three to five of these slowly."

when all else fails, a glass of Merlot or a clean crisp cold lager suits me fine...
0 x
"Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality." - Edgar Poe
http://exquisitehorrors.blogspot.com/

SapphireDreams
Malbolge
USER_FLAG: Great Britain

Postby SapphireDreams » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:57 am

Cheap, low alcohol wine. Meadow Brook is my favourite brand, especially as it's English wine. I have such a low alcohol tolerance level 'normal' wine flattens me. (I had a glass of a lovely red wine from Chile in the summer, it was enough for me to feel distinctly tipsy.)
I love Lambrini, even though people are snobby about it.
And cider, Bulmers being my favourite. I loved the red apple version they did last year, (though I saw some the other day, I'll be getting some more I think.)
I'm also partial to the odd shot of rum or vodka, rum goes nicely with tea, and vodka straight from the freezer is wonderfully syrupy.
0 x

FairyInBoots
Maladomini

Postby FairyInBoots » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:34 pm

In wines, I like a good sweet or semi-sweet red -- or white, I just never really got that into dry wines, as a rule, but I'm open to the possibility of eventually finding one I like. I'm partial to Marvodafni or Lambrusco.

I like my liquers herbal: Ouzo, Pernod, Chartreuse.

...and I like why spirits to be whiskey. Single malt Jameson when I can afford it -- Jack Daniels black label, when I can't.
0 x

HopelessRomantic
Malbolge

Postby HopelessRomantic » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:17 pm

St. Germaine!! (if i'm allowed to splurge)
Red wines or sweet wine.
Disaronno on the rocks.
Absinthe (if it's on sale)
Miller High Life (or two!) if i'm making dinner or feel like being cheap.

Found out I like champagne recently.
0 x

FairyInBoots
Maladomini

Postby FairyInBoots » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:56 am

FairyInBoots WroteColonIn wines, I like a good sweet or semi-sweet red -- or white, I just never really got that into dry wines, as a rule, but I'm open to the possibility of eventually finding one I like. I'm partial to Marvodafni or Lambrusco.

I like my liquers herbal: Ouzo, Pernod, Chartreuse.

...and I like why spirits to be whiskey. Single malt Jameson when I can afford it -- Jack Daniels black label, when I can't.

Also:

I have a guilty pleasure for Boone's Farm and Elderberry Manischewitz "wine products". They're cheap and I can get several for a writing binge for the same price as a single good bottle of Lambrusco or Marvodafni.

I never got into beers, unless you count ciders and lambic. I wish I could afford more than one or two lambics a year. :-(
0 x

∞ Sanguine Law ∞
Stygia

Postby ∞ Sanguine Law ∞ » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:53 pm

I drink the finer cognacs and whiskeys at room temperature with no ice. It's great to just sit by the fireplace with a book in my hand drinking slowly matured cognac. Ahh, good times. Alternatively, if I'm out with friends at a pub or something, I'll drink that cheap alcoholic piss like Carlsberg or Strongbow.
0 x
I'm always up for a conversation, PM me if you like!

Night Mare
Stygia

Postby Night Mare » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:52 pm

FairyInBoots WroteColonI never got into beers, unless you count ciders and lambic. I wish I could afford more than one or two lambics a year. :-(

I adore Lambic. Raspberry or black cherry being my favourites. I often drink spiced rum with Dr. Pepper (I call it a Dr. Morgan) My wine of choice is gewurztraminer but I often drink a red with a dash of cranberry/grape juice in the summer. I am acquiring a taste for a finely made glass of Absinthe and have recently discovered that I do quite enjoy a Snakebite and Black though they make me terribly silly... possibly why my husband enjoys feeding them to me in volume...
0 x

FairyInBoots
Maladomini

Postby FairyInBoots » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:27 am

Night Mare WroteColon
FairyInBoots WroteColonI never got into beers, unless you count ciders and lambic. I wish I could afford more than one or two lambics a year. :-(

I adore Lambic. Raspberry or black cherry being my favourites. I often drink spiced rum with Dr. Pepper (I call it a Dr. Morgan) My wine of choice is gewurztraminer but I often drink a red with a dash of cranberry/grape juice in the summer. I am acquiring a taste for a finely made glass of Absinthe and have recently discovered that I do quite enjoy a Snakebite and Black though they make me terribly silly... possibly why my husband enjoys feeding them to me in volume...

I'm partial to peach and strawberry lambic, myself --not very goth fruits, speaking as a goth fruit, I'm afraid. LOL

Speaking of drinks that make one silly, I invented one some years back called a Perky Goth, here's the recipe:

Perky Goth cocktail:
2parts Blavod (black vodka)
2pts Red Bull (though the original few were made with Vamp NRG, mainly for the colour -- this isn't at most bars, though)
1pt chambord or Chateau Monet (or any raspberry liquer would do, in a pinch)
dash of grenadine
(optional) serve in large cocktail ("martini") glass, rimmed with coarse sugar and a black cherry garnish
-shake lightly

In a pinch, any plain vodka will suffice, as the difference in flavour is insignificant, but the end result of a Perky Goth mixed by recipe is a very dark red that is very sweet and very caffienated -- perfect for dancing all night!
0 x

limestoneman
Minauros

Postby limestoneman » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:56 pm

I've developed quite a pallet for whiskey, and fancy myself a bit of a connoisseur when it comes down to it.
0 x

Social Media

Return to “Domesticated”