The forums have now been linked to the main GOTH.NET website. ALL members must log into the main website at least once before they can log into the forums (if you have a forums account, you automatically have an account on the main website).

If you are not a member on the forums yet, and wish to sign up, you will also have to create an account on the main website, which will automatically register you for the forums.

Note: If you have previously tried the above, and have been having problems logging into the forums, this has been fixed however you must change your password (on the main website) to resolve it permanently. Click here for instructions on how.

Direct Linking Goth.Net Images - No More Linking System Images

A technical discussion for GOTH.NET users. This includes information about the GOTH.NET systems, technologies, and stuff 'under the hood'. This forum is geared towards a more technical audience.

This discussion should now take place in the Help forum.

Topic author
Lilith
Nessus

Postby Lilith » Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:00 pm

Last post of the previous page :

thedoll WroteColonIt was all over my inbox and log-in email page. I didn't particularly mind, though- aside from passer-by thinking staring, of course. ;) It's all in testing.

Well, it shouldn't be doing it anymore.

/div WroteColonOh yes- congratulations, you all are quite far ahead most webmasters.

Well, this is something someone else passed onto me, and it's also been an issue that bothers many site owners, especially fansite owners.

Users don't realise the kind of strain it puts on the people who run the site, because their bandwidth increases quite substantially. This in turn can mean increased running costs, as many people have limited bandwidth and have to pay for excess usage, plus it also means that some of the bandwidth the site has is being used to run little bits of other people's sites, rather than being used for the main site itself. Kind of like taking out some of the gas in your car and putting it in someone elses tank... your dime but nothing of yours runs on it.

Just blocking this doesn't make me ahead of anything else, I found a site that told me what to do, and PreZ helped me with the rest.

Lilith
0 x
Webmistress @ GOTH.NET

SarChasm  (n.)
The gap that exists between the sarcastic person's wit, and the recipient who doesn't get it.

Princess Of Darkness
Malbolge

Postby Princess Of Darkness » Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:46 pm

Lilith- I'm gonna giggle all day now! Thats fantastic- very straight to the point!! :P

-Princess Of Darkness-
*giggling at the mere thought of seeing that image pop up*
0 x

vervain
Cania

Postby vervain » Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:50 am

So... how much of a bandwidth drop has goth.net seen since this has been in place? It's been almost a week now. :)
0 x

JL VTar
Stygia

Postby JL VTar » Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:22 pm

Curiously, the images on the opening goth.net site were replaced by the flashing warning for a short while. The site works fine now, but it was quite a surprise to see the entirety of goth.net flashing and yelling at me for stealing images from it.

Was any testing with them going on, or something like that? Just curious, and passing on the information in case it turns out to be relevant.
0 x
Quote of the [insert most recent time frame]:
"Vampire leads to LARP, and LARP leads to furry!"

Previous Quote: Chen Stormstout.

Social Media

Return to “Technical”