Tartaruz WroteColonThere's no possible education that can beat hormones. Have you ever seen how these things work? If a teenage male is offered sex, 95% of the time he'll take it (the other 5%, well, they're either weird or too mature for their own good).
There's hardly any education that can beat the pop culture. If a teenage female is is told by the media that sex is good, she won't hesitate too hard to copulate.
Finally there's no education (or limit) in hell, heaven, or in this cursed earth that can beat teenage stupidity. We rely on it. Hell, capitalist society NEEDS it.
God, I was a stupid teen...
I don't know where you are and what they teach/taught you. But our sex ed in school in Holland (which was at like age 12-13 in the second year in highschool) was never about "now kids, don't do this". But they did give us extensive information about the reproductive system, the various birthcontrol methods and the various sexually transmitted diseases out there.
I'm talking about sex ed that teaches people to do it safely, not "sex ed" that tells people to abstain. If they want to abstain, that's fine and their choice, but the reality is that in most cases it's just not happening. And pop culture might be telling people to do it, at least education should tell them to do it safely.
Usually, and I don't mean to piss off any of the more religious of our members, the more religious the school, the less inclined they are to give decent education about the basics of sex. As though that will somehow entice the kids even more to have sex. Not to mention the Catholic church among others has often denounced condom use, and has gone as far as claiming that condoms are unsafe, don't protect against diseases, and even cause AIDS (yes, I've really seen this, there are existing articles about it, though it's more in third world nations).
Holland has an extensive sex ed, we also have one of the lowest teen pregnancy rates in Europe, if not the world. I'm sure one of the Brits around here will chime in about the fact that there they have less of a sex ed curriculum, and Britain has one of the higher pregnancy rates in Europe.
To think teenagers aren't having sex is just either ignorance, or a willful blindness to the truth. They're having sex, so in my opinion you might as well give them the tools to at least make a safer choice when they do do it.
The current statistics are such that 1 in 4 americans has herpes, I believe it's like 1 in 6 has HPV (human papilloma virus), and I saw billboards on the train going into NYC this afternoon that claimed that a large percentage of HIV infected people don't know they're infected. These diseases, some relatively "harmless" and others damaging or eventually fatal, are some of the many things that you face when practising unsafe sex. To not equip teenagers to deal with that kind of thing and hope that they'll just not have sex is highly irresponsible in my opinion.