The forums have now been linked to the main GOTH.NET website. You must create (or log into) an account on the main website before you can log into the forums.

If you had an account on the forums before the main site and forums were linked, you can use your forums username and password to log onto the main website, which you must do at least once before you can log into the forums again. You must also clear your forum cookies in your browser from before the link, or you will not be able to log on!

Note: It may take up to an hour after logging into the main site for credentials to work on the forums, however it SHOULD take less time. If you still can't logon after 1 hour, please feel free to contact us.

Barack Obama: Democratic Candidate for US Prez

A specific place to discuss the state of local, national or international politics and other related newsworthy or debateable topics.

Topic author
spiderlimbs
Nessus

Postby spiderlimbs » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:30 am

I want Obama to win, and to clench it, running with Hillary on the ticket would almost guarantee his victory.

So, yes, I think it will be a wise decision. Let's just hope nothing happens to Obama before his term is up.

~spidey
0 x
You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.

thetragicclown
Nessus

Re: Clinton v. Obama

Postby thetragicclown » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:17 pm

Would Obama be wise to accept Hillary as his running mate given the intense dislike she brings out in people? I haven't been following the thing too closely and even I find myself disliking her. To me she has the cold, cruel eyes of someone hungry for power whatever the cost.

- trag
0 x
V4VG.net - A British Gaming Blog

Captain Nevarre
Cania

Postby Captain Nevarre » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:21 pm

I don't think that Clinton as VP would be a good idea, really. Not because I don't trust her. I don't trust any politician and she certainly would be better than anybody coming from the right. However, she doesn't actually add anything to the ticket except experience.

Obama already has the "I want to shake up the vote" vote and throwing Clinton in next to him won't enhance that dynamic. It might scare off the conservative voters who are still sitting on the fence instead. What it definitely will do is give the Right a huge truck full of 12-year-old mud to sling. I still can't believe that they're scraping off the same old shit they threw on President Clinton in an effort to roll it back into a ball and throw it at his wife as if she's somehow dishonest for staying with her husband. Someone explain that dichotomy to me?

Anyway, all that aside, she still won't do much to fill out the ticket in any useful or appealing way. What Obama lacks is a military record and to ignore that will be fatal when he faces off against McCain. It's really all Mr. McCain has going for him, but it's a big trump card. All you're going to hear for the next few months is "dangerous times! Iraq! Middle East!" I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Bush got us into Iran before leaving, just so we can have another war helping to influence elections. With Clinton as a running mate, there remains the same gaping hole in their ticket.

Captain Nevarre
...C'mon left, get a war hero for VP and start finding swift boat veterans to lie about McCain's service...
0 x
~The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool~

Althalus
Cania

Postby Althalus » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:42 pm

Honestly as much as I want Obama to win, from what I just noted on the news his approach is to make the country more british. Big government involvment, changes to tax laws and so on which means more money = more tax.

Something that as far as I have understood it, while a good idea in some aspects is political suicide, akin to being pro-Communist politico in the 50's. (See: Very bad idea, AND, great way to LOSE the vote). However I do not know all the ins and outs of his plans.

McCain on the other hand is "yeah, we'll keep shit the way it is" even though at the moment, all those tax cuts and so on seem to be severely pooching the economy WHEN coupled with the current political feeling about the US.

Nevarre; as much as I think your a great person, you obviously don't realise the following concept: In politics, logic does not apply as long as your republican. :P

Trag, oh hell no. I've been watching her campaign annd its... ALMOST as painful as listening to the BNP. She'd screw up Obama's ride in an attempt to prove to ol Bill she's the better man for the job.
0 x
Theres my musings.
Americans will put up with anything provided it doesn't block traffic. - Dan Rather

LadyAttercop
Nessus

Postby LadyAttercop » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:44 pm

I was listening to NPR this morning and they were discussing a potential Obama-Clinton ticket. According to the Dem analyst, Obama is popular among urban and younger voters, but doesn't do so well with older, rural or more traditional Democrats. On the other hand, Clinton has a strong following among those voters. They're hoping an O-C ticket will get the votes of both camps, rather than loose Clinton's fans to McCain.

spiderlimbs WroteColonSo, yes, I think it will be a wise decision. Let's just hope nothing happens to Obama before his term is up.

Ducky and I were discussing how Obama almost seems he has the Kennedy vibe for our generation, doesn't he? He's young, charismatic, attractive, and the first of his minority group to have an honest shot at the Big Chair. He should stay away from motorcades in Texas. d-:

Althalus WroteColonNevarre; as much as I think your a great person, you obviously don't realise the following concept: In politics, logic does not apply as long as your republican. :P

The Indie voter in the thread would like to point out that the same could be said of the Democrats. :wink:
0 x
Strange Fiction: a webcomic for the cynical, sarcastic, snarky & self-destructive

thetragicclown
Nessus

Postby thetragicclown » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:29 pm

LadyAttercop WroteColon
spiderlimbs WroteColonSo, yes, I think it will be a wise decision. Let's just hope nothing happens to Obama before his term is up.

Ducky and I were discussing how Obama almost seems he has the Kennedy vibe for our generation, doesn't he? He's young, charismatic, attractive, and the first of his minority group to have an honest shot at the Big Chair. He should stay away from motorcades in Texas. d-:

The Kennedy vibe is palpable even to us "godless furners". There seems to be genuine, heartfelt support for the guy all over the internet, and if that's any indicator of real-world support and faith in him (hey, stranger things have happened), the results could be very interesting. Barring, of course, any journeys that involve open-top cars and book depositories.

- trag
0 x
V4VG.net - A British Gaming Blog

Sharkbait
Dis

Postby Sharkbait » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:42 pm

Black guy with a muslim name... better stay out of Texas anyway :lol:
0 x

Lunamoth
Nessus

Clinton v. Obama

Postby Lunamoth » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:30 am

Sharkbait WroteColonBlack guy with a muslim name... better stay out of Texas anyway :lol:

Yes. Thank you for that truly deep comment.
0 x
"He ne'er is crowned with immortality Who fears to follow where airy voices lead."
-John Keats

ZachzGurl
Dis

Postby ZachzGurl » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:21 pm

Though I can't vote, I'm routing for Hillary.
I've heard Obama tell the southerns he approves of guns, and up here in the north he says he disapproves.
Also, the super delegates said their on Obama's side for the thought that if they don't let him be the democratic nominee, the "blacks" will start a riot.
0 x
***A four letter word
Combined with I and You
Just to tell someone
That three word emotion
As to what I refer to it as
That emotion you share and say,
I love you.***
***Zach***

Sharkbait
Dis

Postby Sharkbait » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:27 pm

Zachz.... I think you're running a little behind.

Obama IS the democratic candidate... Hillary said something about trying to be Vice President but I think she stopped (heresay to me, not sure of the accuracy).

In the past I've supported the Republicans but they kinda lost me... so I'm in support of Obama

*Runs off to go make sure he got everything straight*
0 x

ZachzGurl
Dis

Postby ZachzGurl » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:35 pm

Sharkbait WroteColonZachz.... I think you're running a little behind.

Obama IS the democratic candidate... Hillary said something about trying to be Vice President but I think she stopped (heresay to me, not sure of the accuracy).

In the past I've supported the Republicans but they kinda lost me... so I'm in support of Obama

*Runs off to go make sure he got everything straight*

So I've heard, so I've heard.
But you know she could end up as a write in candidate, that's what I'm grabbing at.
0 x
***A four letter word
Combined with I and You
Just to tell someone
That three word emotion
As to what I refer to it as
That emotion you share and say,
I love you.***
***Zach***

LadyAttercop
Nessus

Postby LadyAttercop » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:20 pm

thetragicclown WroteColonThe Kennedy vibe is palpable even to us "godless furners". There seems to be genuine, heartfelt support for the guy all over the internet, and if that's any indicator of real-world support and faith in him (hey, stranger things have happened), the results could be very interesting. Barring, of course, any journeys that involve open-top cars and book depositories.

General consensus seems to be that Obama is a "different" type of candidate, and not just because of his race. He doesn't have the political baggage of long-term politicians like Clinton or McCain, and it's hard to challenge a candidate on her/his voting record in Congress when s/he doesn't have much of one. Whether or not you support him, you have to admit, he comes across as highly intelligent, and is an eloquent speaker. That in and of itself feels revolutionary after 8 years of "Dubya-isms."

Whether or not he actually will be "different" remains to be seen, but he's done a good job of presenting himself as the choice for change, regardless. I have a pair of friends who I could never convince to register to vote. They hated the system, hated the candidates, and wouldn't even register to vote against Bush. This year, they've both registered so they can vote for Obama. People want to believe he's it's going to be different this time around. Seeing optimism going into a presidential election is unreal!

It's going to be one hell of an interesting race, that's for sure.

ZachzGurl WroteColonAlso, the super delegates said their on Obama's side for the thought that if they don't let him be the democratic nominee, the "blacks" will start a riot.

You weren't watching Fox News when you heard this news bite, were you? :wink:

When I did a (very, very) brief down and dirty Google search for "Obama, riots over election," and it brought up what seemed to be a lot of alarmist blog entries, but not much in the way of actual articles addressing a fear of riots due to Obama not getting the Democratic vote. The man won fair and square. Insinuating he only got the nod from the super delegates because they feared rioting minorities smells suspiciously like an attempt to undermine his victory in the Dem election, me thinks.

I haven't listened to the news today, so I can't be sure, but it seems some of the "riot" drama may have been caused by his speech to the Hampton University Annual Ministers' Conference in which he referred to a "quiet riot" of despair in American inner cities. (I couldn't find a transcript of the speech online, but part of it can be seen on YouTube, of course.)

P.S. Since Obama is now, without question, the Democrat's choice for the Oval Office, I thought he deserved his own thread. d-:
Last edited by Guest on Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Thread Split (and because punctuation is my friend)
0 x
Strange Fiction: a webcomic for the cynical, sarcastic, snarky & self-destructive

Lolita Sheva
Avernus

Re: Barack Obama: Democratic Candidate for US Prez

Postby Lolita Sheva » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:48 pm

I would like to see Barack Obama win. I believe he would be a move for the United States in a new and better direction. If McCain wins it will just be more of the same that has been going on for the last eight years which is rather tragic. All McCain will do is run the country further into the ground. And I just think he lacks the open mindedness this country needs to get some sort of dignity back with foreign relations.

If Obama wins though he is going to have a lot of clean up to do when he gets in office from the mess Bush will clearly leave behind. And I am a little concerned about if he can't get it together right away what it will do to his public standing. In any event, I think he would certainly make a better president rather than McCain.

I have mixed feelings about Hillary Clinton being his VP. I think she may be a good asset to have because she does indeed know the ropes well because of when Bill was in office. And truth be told, Clinton didn't do a bad job when he was in office. He left this country with a surplus and Bush blew it and now we are in tremendous debt. So I think with Hillary and Barack working together they could really change the destructive direction this country has taken.

But on the flip side, I wonder if she's on the ticket with him will it defeat the purpose of his message of "CHANGE" in some people's minds. Will they look at it as him going back on his motto of change by teaming up with a Clinton....

I think it would really be a testament to true change to have a person of color and a woman at the head of the country running things though.

If McCain wins, I cannot IMAGINE what this country would be thinking considering McCain really is the otherside of the Bush coin. And if Bush has the lowest approval rate of any president this country has ever had and the people put McCain in... I would have to speculate something that I don't think a lot of people are honestl willing to talk about in depth.

Frankly, I have my doubts about it now.. but it remains to be seen.
0 x

Kopoka
Avernus

Postby Kopoka » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:31 pm

Lolita Sheva WroteColonI would like to see Barack Obama win. I believe he would be a move for the United States in a new and better direction. If McCain wins it will just be more of the same that has been going on for the last eight years which is rather tragic. All McCain will do is run the country further into the ground. And I just think he lacks the open mindedness this country needs to get some sort of dignity back with foreign relations.

I agree. I like Obama better then, well, Hillary, and certainly McCain. Because as you've said McCain will simply dig the US into a deeper hole. But alot of people I speak to seem to hate Hillary and for no good reasons. I think she'd make a wonderful president (Or running mate, for that matter) myself.
0 x
"When you pray for strength, God does not give you strength, he gives you the opportunity to be strong."

Arquinsiel
Nessus

Postby Arquinsiel » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:48 am

Kopoka WroteColonBut alot of people I speak to seem to hate Hillary and for no good reasons.
I think that's the point. People just hate her, without needing a reason. She inspires it somehow.
0 x

Social Media

Return to “Politics & Related”